Viola by Mougenot, Brussels, 1894
Georges Mougenot (1843 - 1937), apprenticed to G. Deroux from 1855. Worked in Liège in 1858 with his uncle Victor Jeandel, and then for N. Darche in Aix-la-Chapelle. Returned to Liège and succeeded to the business of Jeandel in 1860, at that time at 48 rue Souverain Pont. Moved to Pont d’Ile and in 1875 took over the shop of Nicolas Vuillaume in the rue Eperonniers, Brussels. This he transferred to rue St-Jean and later to Montagne de la Cour. Appointed luthier to the Brussels Conservatoire. Retired in 1910 leaving the workshop and business to Maurice Bourguignon. Superb work on classical Cremonese models.
Length of back: 15⅜” / 393mm
String playing length: 351mm