Violin by Henry Lockey Hill, London, c.1820

 
 

Henry Lockey Hill (1774 - 1835), son of Lockey Hill and pupil of his uncle, Joseph (II). Worked for John Betts c.1806-1810, during which time he made templates of the Stradivari ‘King Frederick’ cello, which he subsequently used as his model. He succeeded to his father’s business in Southwark in 1810, and established at 7 Brandon Row by 1826 as ‘L. Hill & Sons’. He was a very fine maker, the first of the Hill family to fully absorb the style and principles of Stradivari as distinct from the sometimes coarse Stainer and Amati work produced by his father. His son, William Ebsworth, maintained this high level of craftsmanship which became the distinction of the firm ‘W. E. Hill & Sons’.


INSTRUMENT SPECIFICATIONS

Label: This violin bears no label

Further details:

  • Accompanying certificate by Peter Biddulph

Measurements:

  • String length: 328mm

  • Length of back: 356mm

  • Upper / lower bout: 164mm / 200mm

Varnish description: Red-brown over a golden ground.

The back is made from a single piece of quarter-sawn maple, marked with a light regular flame of medium width, running horizontally. The ribs are of matching wood, the scroll similar.
The front is of two matched pieces of spruce, the grain distinctly marked of medium width, broadening slightly towards the treble side.
The varnish is of a red-brown colour applied over a golden ground. The instrument is, at present, in good condition and is a fine example of the maker’s work.
— Peter Biddulph